Thursday, September 24, 2009

And in the Real World . . .

I've been partying lately, celebrating my own birthday and the many, many other September birthday people I know.  Lots of Virgos, and now Libras, which suits me fine since I'm a cusp baby, and am very familiar with duality, mine included.  That duality has recently proven valuable in a way I'd never before considered. 

Yesterday I sent off a non-fiction book which I wrote with my daughter to my agent in New York for review and comments.  I had Daughter #2 on the phone with me when I hit SEND to let it fly into cyberspace. 

I won't pretend I'm not nervous.  I would like this project to be successful; my daughter has great hopes for it and I'd hate to see her disappointed. And I'd love to explore my duality as a writer.  I didn't know I had any.  Yes, I've written non-fiction before, had years on newspapers in school, and I knew I could write a coherent sentence.  But it's been a while.  Most of my published work has been fiction, with historical settings.  I wondered if that would be a help or a hindrance when I started to write the non-fiction book.

I discovered that I could make the switch to my natural tone very easily.  I don't know why I worried about it, after all I don't talk in an historical mode at the grocery story, or to other writers, or with His Majesty (except for  . . .oh, never mind. TMI, TMI).  I talk like a 20th century person (yes, 20th century.  I don't think I've evolved into a 21st century person yet.  Stay tuned.). 

It was a fun book to write.  I had worried about how we would do writing together.  I've got my own ways of working, and she hers, and I didn't know if our methods would mesh.  And I didn't want anything to upset the very close relationship we have.  I'm delighted to report that it was a thrill to write with her.  She's smart and hard-working, and so mature and rational.  It literally was joyous.  I make no apologies for thinking that my two daughters are the most wonderful women on earth, and it was gratifying to discover how easily Daughter #2 and I worked together.  I'm so proud of her!  And I'm proud of the book we've created.  I hope that one day it will be published and you and I can talk about it together.

I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment