Monday, September 14, 2009

Football season!

I know, I know, I write historical novels (mostly) and football has nothing to do with the 13th century.  Or does it?  Organized sports are, of course, a civilized and ritualized form of war.  The whole premise is very primal: my tribe is better than your tribe.  People who have absolutely nothing in common beside the city in which they live, will bond like brothers over a sports team.  And I'm as guilty as anyone.  For years His Majesty and I were rabid Rams fans.  Even I knew all the players and felt qualified to comment on the coach's calls, etc.  But when Georgia F. took over the team and took it to St. Louis, we stopped being fans.  I have to admit I missed having a team to cheer on.

Then our girls went to USC and we got into college football.  I love it!  We used to know some of the guys on the team to cheer for, but they've all graduated, as have our girls, so now we just cheer on the whole roster.  Last Saturday found us glued to the USC/Ohio State game.  We won, but it was a hard fought game with a Hollywood ending.

I think what I'm really drawn to is the drama of it all.  Good stuff.  Next week we play Washington.  I'm already worried.

No comments:

Post a Comment